Macys - Horrible first day, i quit.

127 of 579 Macys Reviews
Aug 10, 2013
review #438211

I go in for my first day on work 20 minutes ahead, I was greeted by Scott and he told me where to go and what to ask.I walk up to the counter and none of the three employees knew I was coming or that they had to “help” me.

I go to log in and I don’t know my pin number because Human resource never told me how to set it up. So I head across the mall to Human resource and it was a simple fix and everything was okay. I go back up and I am ready to start, even though no one knew what I should do, but two women helped me. This was my first job in retail so I don’t know much but I understood how to do the cash register and talk to people.

Next thing I know I am being attacked by my coworker who is an elderly women, because “it is ridiculous” I don’t know where they security tags where. The customer was nice and another employee me where to check. After the customer leave the coworker comes back and makes a smart remark “I’m glad you looked for the tags”. I honestly did check and I never done this before.

I was told by many people at Macys that you will learn hands on and make mistakes. This made me really upset being attacked out of nowhere because it’s my first day! Then it all went downhill from there. Now all the employees are frustrated with me because I don’t know what to do, because no one showed me.

The Human resources called me down to finish training. After watching a 16 minute video for probably the 5th time it was still not fixed and no one in human resources knew what to do and sent me on my way and told me to come back. I will not be returning to Macys and I will be telling everyone my experience and telling them to no longer shop at Macys in lakeside mall. Macys is supposed to be built on team work and “Magic” and that was the complete opposite of my experience.

I walked out the mall and didn’t look back because how I was treated was unbelievable. I had no one to help me train, my department manager didn’t care, horribly rude employees. Thank you for your time at Macys, Everyone in Human resources was great and helped a lot. My department was the complete opposite and I hope you guys can look into it and figure out was it wrong.

I was even told by another employee to stay away from the women side of Macys because it is nothing but drama and rude women.

There no way to contact anyone about hours or how to take time off, they don’t work around your needs.No one wanted to train me or take the time for me, even the manager showed lack of care.

6802eab
2.5
Had an experience with Macys?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA

Jun 18

I would not have let one old hag run me off from a job. I would have gone to HR (since you say they were nice) and explained that I needed someone with patience and professionalism to help me. You should have at least given it a chance. Working one day is not giving something a chance. You could have given it 2 weeks and still have been applying for other jobs during your off-time, as a back-up plan. It sounds like from what you wrote that perhaps the 'attacking co-worker' made her remarks in front of a customer? That is unacceptable. I was in Belks one time and an old hag employee was absolutely nasty to a teenage employee that was trying to process my refund. The young employee apologized, explaining it was her 3rd day at work. In front of me, the customer, the hag asked him if he even had a brain. I put her promptly in her place and then went straight to customer service to request the store manager, where I made a complaint against her unprofessional and harassing behaviour. My point is, if this picking on you was done in front of the customer, you should have definitely let HR know. Actually, once you decided you would not be returning, you should have told HR that you expected to learn on-the-job training and not to be subjected to bullying from impatient, obviously burned out co-workers.

Molly

Jun 17 San Diego, California

I just had my first day at Macy's and I totally understand what you mean. My manager couldn't help me understand in how to manage my schedule. I was teamed uo with this insolent girl who just didn't teach me anything and I was so scred of attending my first customer, because in training they don't show you everything! Luckily later during the day I was teamed with this girl who helped me sooooo much! I was lucky, but I completely understand what you went through :(

NoExcuses

Sep 23, 2013 Charlotte, North Carolina

If this is the way you handle a little bit of newbie frustration at your job, you will have a long life of short term dead end jobs.

When you start a new job, you have to have enormous patience and ask questions, and SHOW you want to learn. You go to your supervisor and ask for help; if one co-worker is rude then you find someone else to help you.

AND at Macy's, if you completed your required training, you would have taken THREE courses about MSP, which tells you everything you need to know "about hours or how to take time off" including setting up your availability and preferred availability in the system so your schedule could be generated off those parameters. It takes a few weeks for those parameters to show up in your schedule so the first few weeks are rather pieced-together until MSP starts generating that schedule. But again, you walked off the job with no notice and left it all in the floor.

Oh well. :?

RainyDays

Aug 11, 2013 Vancouver, Washington

Sounds like you need to grow up and stop expecting people to spoon feed you! I second the comment, "I'm glad you quit...." All new jobs are frustrating, but you never even gave this job a chance. The employer wasted a lot of money hiring you whether you realize it or not. And why are you already complaining about there not being anyone to ask how to take time off? Loser!!!

0 1 Reply
sessa

Aug 12, 2013 Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Are you both delusional? What "attitude" are you referring to? The fact that she expected to be helped and TRAINED as a new employee? Apparently wanting some direction means she expected to be "spoon fed". I find both your comments rude and ridiculous.

1 0 Reply

Aug 10, 2013

What in the holy *** did you just type?

×
You were reading a complaint about Macys.
Filing a new complaint about
×