Macys - My Schedule Plus!!!

432 of 576 Macys Reviews
Jul 17, 2011

As an employee of Macy's I have recently been introduced to MySchedulePLUS.IT IS AN INSTRUMENT OF TORTURE!

We used to have a core schedule that worked for all employees and we could plan our lives and take care of our families. Now we do not know from week to week what days or times our shifts are and they are never convenient and never make sense. It makes me want to Quit!

Also magic selling and scorecards are a joke and based on negativity and they don't help or work.They are just designed to make a few execs in New York look good and only hurt employees and customers.

6128fad
Review #249524
I had the same issue 27
Had an experience with Macys?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
Employee

Jul 17 Sherman Oaks, California

I honestly don't have much to complain about. I've been working for Macy's for a while now and the way Macy's has their schedule set up allows me to work at my convenience and choose my availability. However, I think certain managers need to go through better training. The managers on the floor I work on are wonderful, kind, understanding, but firm and adhere to all of the rules/procedures-I think this is because women understand empathy a lot better than men do. Retail work is difficult and the regular managers on my floor seem to understand that. I can't say the same for the managers from other departments, MOSTLY MEN. A good amount of male managers will handle situations pretty well but there is always that ONE (sometimes two) manager who have no idea how to talk to employees. They will go out of their way to be-little sales associates and do not understand how to encourage. Criticizing seems to be popular and if anyone has ever taken Psychology 101, they would know what type of feedback generates positive behaviors.
I sometimes wonder how these guys became manager in the first place if everything that comes out of their mouth sounds rude and condescending? I guess I'll never know.

Hopia

Jul 10

Macy's is now implementing "My Client" in full force. It seems like another ground for employee termination if you can't reach the quota.
First of all, customers are concerned on privacy issues and vulnerability on hackers. The system is not at all user friendly, esp. during busy days in order to speed the process. There should be an interaction on the pen pad if they would sign up or not and if they are already in our system by simply inputting their phone number. An overwhelmed employee would be looking for it and sometimes pulled up a wrong customer with the same name. It could lead to wrong charges when a customer's credit card was stored on My Client system.
Besides, a big hassle for customers when they have to join My Client all over and over again in every sales associate in all departments in any Macys stores. And the managers won't be able to delete these clients if they ever changed their minds right then.

MacysAssociate

Jul 10

I have worked at Macy's for 4-1/2 months. I took a 2nd job to help make ends meet. I worked in retail as a teenager and loved the interaction with the public and I love fashion so it seemed like it would be a good fit.
Not... so... much
There was literally no meaningful training. The automated b.s. training is just that, b.s. I showed up one day on an opening shift all by myself with no idea how to open the register. Tried calling a manager, none came. My customer was very kind and patient and I finally found someone to help me. I was NEVER provided training on the close process and was doing it wrong for weeks before I was able to following someone to see how they did it. Every time I come in there is a new item to push with no information or training on what it is or how to market it to the customer.
They push the credit cards to a ridiculous degree. And indicate something ominous will happen if you don't get applications. And when I explain to my Manager that the majority of my customers already have them and the ones who decline do not want one. "How do you know?" she asks. I tell her that people give you that look like I have no desire to have a freaking Macy's card and I don't want to listen to your speech on the benefits. I have been that person and there is nothing that turns me on less that some *** trying to get me to apply to a credit card I do not want or need. "You are putting your own personal feelings on the situation" I am told. Seriously?!?! If you

Jenna

May 31 Towson, Maryland

Macys is the worst place to ever work for. First, the company always ask for donations to help a charity event, I just realized that Macys DO NOT give out the full money to the charity. For example, Macys may ask for $2 for donation but only pay 50 cents to the actual charity. Macy is a very stressful job, They pay $8 and require a workload of $15. You have to wear a dress code which has to be professional (mind you for an $8 job), and they have a point system. The managers at Macys are VERY demanding. They would talk about Your sales goals, Credit card, thanks for sharing, pre-sale, and my client. How is it possible to interact all those 5 things to one customers and then repeat the same thing to EVERY customer. It is impossible. In addition to that, the managers are not organized, an associate could be scheduled to go to lunch let's say 3pm, the associate had gone to lunch at 3pm. Before you know it, the associate's name is constantly being announced on the intercom to return to their department. Such activity is embarrassing to the associate, and the associate is being harassed for going to lunch when he/she was scheduled by the manager to go to lunch at 3pm. Macys do not value the 20 min break they give their employees, whenever an associate wants to take their 20 min break, the managers and executive office always state that it is an optional break so they demand you stay at your register. This activity also does prove how horrible macy's is.
The managers are macys

2 1 Reply
Anon

Aug 18, 2013 San Francisco, California

I sypathize with all of you that have worked for the unscrupulous company that is Macys. :sigh . I had worked for Macy's for years and had I known what the reality of working their was, I probably never would have started working there. Yet like most people I desperately needed a job and I always enjoyed shopping at Macy's. So I figured I'd try it. My coworkers, managers, and the friendly customers are for the most part the only reason I stayed. I sometimes really enjoyed my time there. However there are somethings that Macy's allows that is just objectionable.
They push for the sales associates to get credits which we dont need to be harrassed constanlty for- we get it we need to get credit for Macys because it benefits the company. However most customers have a Macys card and harrassing customers is not a good way to promote customer loyalty. But my main issue was that sales associate are essentially punished if their customer returns merchandise. Sales Associates can come in with negative sales goals because a customer returns something. That is just unfair. :sigh I ask you, How is it the sales associates fault if ,the customer needs the money back, customer decided they dont need/want the merchandise, or some other issue? Just start the sales goal at zero and dont make the sales associate stress over that which is beyond their control.

2 0 Reply
kate

Aug 12, 2013 Berlin, Berlin

I would like to send a bouquet to JEAN, in the clothing department (recently at the Hilfiger register) at Macy's in Manhattan. She is helpful, cheerful, smart, and a perfect example of an employee you should not lose. :)

dont b a grinch

Jul 20, 2013 Houston, Texas

Experience does not = higher hourly pay.full time or part time is for a select few. who do they choose to get the less than part time hours? those with family and travel expenses.
who can survive off of 3-8 hrs? they don't tell you the truth you find out when your on the schedule.MSP is not working for employees. treating people unfairly if you pick up shifts.....

so called department supervisors that are not really in leadership. they don't get paid more and are just a scapegoat for HIGH paid "real" managers. You will most likely not get a raise in a year or whatever else they promise you. I have seen these things happen......very sad :cry very high turnover rate. I am sure they get their tax credits also.

Macys has helped to bring down the economy forcing people into poverty.

TRAINING. what is that? :p

Shariff

Jul 01, 2013

As other people have commented, MSP is really just a way for management to cut costs by making sick leave/PTO basically disappear for most Macy's associates. It also allows the company to increasingly rely on cheap part timers. For customers this translates to shopping in a store where most of the associates don't really know the products they're trying to sell. At all.

The sad reality is that this is the new normal for service jobs in America. Working for Macy's is, qualitatively, not any different than working for WalMart. MSP, the Scorecard and the point system are all techniques for employee disempowerment, no matter how management tries to spin these as positive developments.

Training at Macy's is a computer-based joke, because the company would rather hire part time employees to keep benefit costs down than invest in people. Of course, this is not true of corporate employees.

The reality is that employee feedback falls on deaf ears. It's sad, because there are countless cases of companies who treat employees well and subsequently increase their profits. Macy's chooses to go the low route, and I believe will pay the price in the long run.

May 17, 2013 Beaverton, Oregon

Everyone needs to report to their managers if they do not like the way things are run and ask them to speak to their bosses at company meetings and hopefully they will address your concerns.

Jun 11

not going to happen

sophia

May 14, 2013 Raleigh, North Carolina

I am employed at Macy's as a Sales Manager and I feel the associates pain. I know MSP was a politically correct way to help the company save money and rob the associates of the benefits they truly deserve i.e. paid time off, medical and dental benefits etc. What the company expects from them is insurmountable for the wages earned. I believed that Macy's was Americas favorite department store and amongst the Elite however I now see we are merely a notch above Kmart ! and Kmart sucks!!!

Ok

May 05, 2013 New York City, New York

Msp is a disaster. Our store is one of the last store getting it and we all agree with the disaster that it is. Magic selling and score cards are a pure joke design to exploit, control, and manipulate employee. The sales goals are impossible to reach, it is soo stressing. Leaving by the end of summer.

Apr 06, 2013 Richardson, Texas

This is so simple.If you do not like the system that MACYS has adopted "Leave" AND GO ELSE WEAR no one is "Forcing You To Stay".Some people just like to "Complain" all the time.Macys is not going to "Work Around Your Schedule" nor "Work around your family's "Schedule".It is your responsibility to make sure that your family is in "Tack".What Company allow's you to work your own "Schedule" to fit your own "Need's".If you do not get enough "Hours",It is probably because of your "Complaining So Much".Work with management and Management will work with you."

0 6 Reply
Anon

May 17, 2013 Princeton, Illinois

You obviously don't know what MSP is and are not an employee of Macy's, your comment is irrelevant. We do not get our hours cut for complaining, the system does it on its own and still to this day has many glitches and error. Aside from not complaining, you should also not comment on things you know nothing about, and if you do, explain yourself better.

3 0 Reply
Lacroix

Jun 07, 2013

Well aren't you obviously a pissed little manager of Macy's who is tired of her employees complaining about the new schedules. You're abusing the use of quotation marks too. You can't just put into quotes anything you mean to stress. That's what ALL-CAPS is for.
Please don a suit that forces you to inhale your own "***" instead of letting everyone else smell/see "Them"! lol

derangedplague

Jul 11, 2013 Miami, Florida

Cute... Yes, because in a crappy economy; it is really just easy to leave one's job. No, sorry; a lot of people working for Macy's are working there to put food on the table. The reason why hours are not at what they are supposed to be is because they purposely choose lesser hours in order to reduce benefits and paid time off options. Stop talking if you do not know about that which you speak of.

Jul 15, 2013 Evansville, Indiana

I worked at Macy's, and it was open availability to change hours. My hours never changed

0 1 Reply
Longtime Macys Associate

Jul 16, 2013

Macys MSP is an unmitigated disaster. Every aspect of it. We find too many employees on the floor when we least need them; and not enough when we do. Part-time employees who were assured they'd have more than enough hours to pick up, do not find them. There is no reliabilty regarding coverage and this goes to customer service. When, in order for a "regular" employee to take her State mandated lunch, an associate from Swim must come in to relieve her ... there is no one with ANY product knowledge left on the floor. Also, when one associate is left with an entire department to run, it is expecting that individual to do the work of as many as 4 people. The compensation is NOT comensurate with the work. Remember, most departments no long enjoy commission. When YOU accuse the employee of "complaining too much," get your probabilities in line. Finally, for some of us ... we've been with the company for a very long time. We do not want to change jobs. Perhaps we life what we do and only want the company to fix a very flawed system.

You're Gross

Jul 24, 2013

You have terrible "SPELLING" and "GRAMMAR".

Showing 1-20 of 139 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Macys.
Filing a new complaint about
×