New England, North Dakota
7.5K views 39 comments

I signed-up for a Macy's credit card because they offered me 40% off of my purchase. I don't usually sign-up for store credit but the discount was too big to resist. The offer turned out to be a lie - an additional 20% reduction off an amount already reduced 20%. Cashier didn't understand my logic, though. She said 20 + 20 equals 40.

Anyways, I was approved for the credit and made my first and only purchase on 7/21. Yesterday, 8/8, I registered the credit card they sent me on MyStarRewards.com. I registered so I could confirm the additional 20% reduction. While on the webpage, I saw that a statement had already been created and that my payment for the clothes purchased on 7/21 was due 8/21.

Rather than starting my billing cycle on the date of first purchase like all other credit companies, they ended my cycle on the date of purchase. The statement said that I had 30 days in my billing cycle, which means that, according to Macy's, my billing cycle started in June before I had the credit card. Genuis, right?

What makes me mad is that I never received a paper statement in the mail. I, like so many others out there, assumed that my billing cycle would start on 7/21 and end somewhere around 8/21. If I hadn't logged on to website and enrolled in paperless statements, I would've continued to wait until AFTER 8/21 for my statement and would've acrued 24% interest.

Sheisty, very sheisty. Especially to those people out there who aren't technologically inclined and prefer receiving mail rather than paperless statements.

I urge all of you reading this to beware of Macy's credit practices and store credit card in general. I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of practice is illegal and I plan to contact the Federal Trade Commission to file a formal complaint.

Review about: Credit Card.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Macys Cashier
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Macys?

Comments

I will NEVER make a purchase on this card again!I returned something that I had bought with this card and the return was never credited to my account.

I called and gave customer service and gave them my receipt number for the return transaction and they said that they couldn't help me even though they admitted that they could verify the transaction. Now, I'm not only stuck paying for this item, but I am also stuck paying the interest on it even though I returned it two months ago! Are you kidding me?!

HORRIBLE customer service!I've never had an experience as bad as this.

Paid my bill and my son paid his bill on time last month.Now they are calling saying we didn't pay!!

Very suspicious, especially when I tried several times to call today and they can't answer phones due to high call volume.

How many other payments were not recorded?We will both pay off our cards, close accounts, and never shop at macys again.

I will never use my Macy's credit card..the most horrible custimer service I received...Their online payment system was down, with a new baby, i couldn't drive to the store to pay, phone payment was too long and busy whic made me miss a payment and ruined my credit..too bad they don't want to help! Never Never never!

Worst credit card ever.Terrible customer service.

After I thought I had paid my balance in full I was billed $2 for interest but never received a bill for it. Apparently I missed 4 payments for this $2 balance that I didn't know existed. I closed the account as soon as I learned of this and will not be opening a Macy's account at any point in the near future.

There are tons of much better cards available anyway - why settle for a *** card.

Nancy
to Anonymous Louisville, Kentucky, United States #1233411

They have done the same thing to me.I closed my account the previous month paying the total balance off.

I got v a bill today from them for $2.00. Not interested, just a ridiculous fee. I will try to close this mess once & for all, or else I will file a formal com0laint with the BBC. Don't get involved with their credit card system.

They will try to rob you blind .People need to file a class action suit against these criminals.

Nugget
to Anonymous Tacoma, Washington, United States #1327028

That is how they make their money.They scam customers out of it.

If you pay your card on the "due date" you'll get the $2 charge because their headquarters runs on Eastern time.Everyone yells at us employees about this daily, but Macy's gives us no way of fixing this since the customer's card info is private.

I've been a Macy's customer for years and have their AMEX card as well.Never had a problem with their credit service.

You charge the merchandise, then you pay the bill.

Take some responsibility and make sure you pay on time.It's not up to them to remind you every month.

to Anonymous Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States #1180732

Actually, it IS their responsibility. It's part of the Fair Credit Billing Act.

Holly

I know right!Macy's has been my favorite store forever!!!

I see all of these people complaining and it's because they don't read the fine print, which EVERY store has...

it's called marketing lol.I've never had a problem with Macy's!!!

Shelby

That sounds super frustrating.Although, I have never had a problem with my Macy's credit card...

ever... it has been great. It might have been the cashiers fault. That, and it is always better to apply for a credit card on your own, that way this kind of screwy stuff doesn't happen.

Besides, with credit cards, I check it every day. Now days it isn't safe to wait until you get it in the mail. So, for all of you who have read this article, know that it might just be a hate article. I, and many other people I know, have NEVER had an issue with the credit card.

In fact, you get points for every purchase and that's how I've gotten free stuff. So look at the positive before this lady convinces you otherwise. You can get a Macy's American Express card, combine it with a Plenti account, and get points on every purchase you make. When you accumulate enough, you can go to Macy's, or other participating Plenti stores, and use your points to buy stuff.

It's pretty awesome, and gives you good credit.

It's sad this lady had a crappy experience but her opinion doesn't make the credit card bad.It just means she encountered a human who made a mistake on her credit card.