Sterling Heights, Michigan
6K views 27 comments

I go in for my first day on work 20 minutes ahead, I was greeted by Scott and he told me where to go and what to ask.I walk up to the counter and none of the three employees knew I was coming or that they had to “help” me.

I go to log in and I don’t know my pin number because Human resource never told me how to set it up. So I head across the mall to Human resource and it was a simple fix and everything was okay. I go back up and I am ready to start, even though no one knew what I should do, but two women helped me. This was my first job in retail so I don’t know much but I understood how to do the cash register and talk to people.

Next thing I know I am being attacked by my coworker who is an elderly women, because “it is ridiculous” I don’t know where they security tags where. The customer was nice and another employee me where to check. After the customer leave the coworker comes back and makes a smart remark “I’m glad you looked for the tags”. I honestly did check and I never done this before.

I was told by many people at Macys that you will learn hands on and make mistakes. This made me really upset being attacked out of nowhere because it’s my first day! Then it all went downhill from there. Now all the employees are frustrated with me because I don’t know what to do, because no one showed me.

The Human resources called me down to finish training. After watching a 16 minute video for probably the 5th time it was still not fixed and no one in human resources knew what to do and sent me on my way and told me to come back. I will not be returning to Macys and I will be telling everyone my experience and telling them to no longer shop at Macys in lakeside mall. Macys is supposed to be built on team work and “Magic” and that was the complete opposite of my experience.

I walked out the mall and didn’t look back because how I was treated was unbelievable. I had no one to help me train, my department manager didn’t care, horribly rude employees. Thank you for your time at Macys, Everyone in Human resources was great and helped a lot. My department was the complete opposite and I hope you guys can look into it and figure out was it wrong.

I was even told by another employee to stay away from the women side of Macys because it is nothing but drama and rude women.

There no way to contact anyone about hours or how to take time off, they don’t work around your needs.No one wanted to train me or take the time for me, even the manager showed lack of care.

Review about: Employee.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE
Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Macys?

Submit review

Comments

Stockton, California, United States #1296249
totally true! They put you through register training upstairs in a room and never give you any real experience on the floor. Once your on the floor a few people will help and say never feel bad about asking. However, it wears thin with fellow associates when you have to constantly ask them because the little parts of a transaction are plenty! I was told to write every little step down in a notebook, when all macys would have to do is provide a manual.
San Antonio, Texas, United States #1197232
I have read several comments (not all) but I fail to see this viewpoint; could it be that the employee helping you was frustrated with the fact that no one trained you? Anger isn't necessarily always directed at the person they are with. I find it takes two weeks of torture at any job you start. I know I feel foolish and unproductive while I am learning. After two weeks, then you can make a proper assessment that the job isn't for you.
London, England, United Kingdom #1186958
Whoever manages the department you were assigned to, failed in their duties. It was their responsibility to ensure that you were trained. The woman who was rude to you obviously hates her job and her life and should have long since retired. Everything I've heard about working at Macy's is that it is a miserable place, so I think you dodged a bullet. I hope you have long since found a better job.
Mrs. Bonnie Schloenchswart
Ashburn, Virginia, United States #1119173
Well, it is VERY clear to me that the liberals who run this pro-*** company discriminated against you for being a Trump voter! I believe Barack Hussein Obama was behind it! Such terrible customer service!!!
As a Christian on Facebook I'm persecuted constantly! Your story fills me with so much rage I feel Macy's owes ME some compensation as well, and if customer service doesn't give me what I want I'll call the National Guard to intervene!! And then I'll leave a nasty review on Yelp! These liberals must be stopped! Such poor customer service!
Some people will never "get it" face the fact u are one of those people that no matter how many times u are trained this job will not be for u.u either get it or u don't and yes your coworkers are only going to have so much patience. Being a,sales associate is not rocket science it is easy to pick up.
to Anonymous London, England, United Kingdom #1186957
You most likely have made a career out of minimum wage retail jobs, so it is easier for you. The OP stated it was her first retail job and her first day on the job. Give her a break!
Alliah
to Anonymous #1296251
Not true! You seem to have that same rotten attitude! Training in retail is a must and use to be very well implemented! Its attitudes like yours that are ruining the system! your a snot!
You know, you have to do your part too. Sounds like you blew a chance to show your problem solving skills, and leadrership potential.
CD81
I realize this is old but need to comment for future new employees who stumble upon this thread. Macy's is a terrible place to work. The culture there is terrible, particularly with the management. I stay because my particular part time position is the ultimate in flexibility and I need a once a week kind of side job. Here is what I say to every new employee: "This company arguably has the worst training of any place you could ever work. You will not know how to do your job, and you will be left alone in a department on a one day sale as a new person. They don't care. It's not you, it is the company. Most employees here are nice, and have been through this whole process. Ask all the questions you need, because we understand and managers here will not help you. Managers will come up to you and yell at you for not doing something you were not aware of or were never taught how to do. Don't get mad or offended, and just ignore them. The managers here are useless and the worst people you will encounter. As a part timer, you cannot get fired from this job unless you steal or lose attendance points, so just don't worry about it. Here is my number in X department if you need any help, and so and so is over there and will happily help you. Ask for anything you need." You won't believe how many new employees and holiday help smile and hug me after that. It's just a company with a terrible workplace culture. Only the lowest caliber of people get promoted to management.
I would not have let one old hag run me off from a job. I would have gone to HR (since you say they were nice) and explained that I needed someone with patience and professionalism to help me. You should have at least given it a chance. Working one day is not giving something a chance. You could have given it 2 weeks and still have been applying for other jobs during your off-time, as a back-up plan. It sounds like from what you wrote that perhaps the 'attacking co-worker' made her remarks in front of a customer? That is unacceptable. I was in Belks one time and an old hag employee was absolutely nasty to a teenage employee that was trying to process my refund. The young employee apologized, explaining it was her 3rd day at work. In front of me, the customer, the hag asked him if he even had a brain. I put her promptly in her place and then went straight to customer service to request the store manager, where I made a complaint against her unprofessional and harassing behaviour. My point is, if this picking on you was done in front of the customer, you should have definitely let HR know. Actually, once you decided you would not be returning, you should have told HR that you expected to learn on-the-job training and not to be subjected to bullying from impatient, obviously burned out co-workers.