Macys - Macy's Star Rewards and pushing for the "Thanks for Sharing" is a joke!

436 of 1031 Macys reviews

I get all these 15% to 20% off bonus cards in the mail, and high tail up to Macy's to use them on a couple purchases......better read the really small print about all the exclusion before you go!After the LIST goes on and on, you realize there isn't a stinking thing you can use them for.

I only bought two items, and had to pay full price, so I threw them in the trash when I got home. Keep your wonderful passes and birthday "gifts" that say you'll save with your store credit card, Macy's.

You just lost a really good customer that is tired of the jokes you play on well meaning, faithful customers.Bye bye!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Contribution To Thanks For Sharing
Review category
Advertising
review #530081

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Macys? Submit review ›
Helpful? 13 Yes 13 4 No 4
Had the same issue 23 Yes 23
436 of 1031 Macys reviews

Dec 29, 2016 #1262557 Bremerton, Washington, United States

I love it! Get my money back every year and then some and then some more. It's all about timing and how much you spend. I sign up as soon as it starts and try to do as much Christmas shopping at Macy's during thanks for sharing as I can.

Feb 15 #1288871 Dublin, Ohio, United States

When do we get the gift card for things for sharing? Its mid Feb and still no gift card!!

Sep 23, 2016 #1217189

I have joined TFS. This will be my 3rd year. I enjoy giving, especially around the Holidays. The first 2 years I got my $25.00 back in a gift card
Last year it tripped. I used to love shopping at Macy's. I go to Lakewood Mall in CA. But the buyers are so far off the mark. The clothing is horrible. So ugly. The things I do like are... Levi's. Fragrance and Cosmetics. Children's and baby clothes and shoes. I buy a T shirt or Cardigan sometimes. And I have found a few beautiful blouses
This is over a long time. I need to go check out South Coast Plaza Macy's and see how their buyers compare
These are 2 completely different areas. One is for the rich from everywhere in the world, the other is in a low to mid income area. I don't think that should make such a difference in how the buyers choose their product. I do know at SVP they have a fur salon and more expensive items
When Macy's was Bullock's it was the best. Especially any of the Wilshire stores
Too bad they are gone and too bad the sales people really don't make that much commission. My mom worked at Bullocks Wilshire at Doth Coast Plaza in the 80's and 90's She made bank! She was in cosmetics and fragrance It was awesome Amy we, not real thrilled with the yuck styles at Macy's. They are not up to date. Now I always use my coupons. You just have to know what areas to shop in to use them You can not, unfortunately, use them on Levi's or cosmetic or fragrance Open ay wallet account and all
... Show more

Jan 28, 2016 #1102611

If you were mad and paid the money for items that you then threw away because you were mad...boy, you really showed them. They made a profit, you didn't get anything. Next time, I would try returning the items. This is so *** it makes me think this is a joke.

Jan 21, 2016 #1098785

I am able to use my rewards if I wait for the right moment..like a great sale. I agree it can be frustrating at times when you only want a few select items and they are excluded. Because you're pissed off from your last visit you should go back and do some good 'damage' with your next set of coupons and a great sale!!! Cheer up! Be the winner next time and show them!!!

Jan 10, 2016 #1091913

Well I'm sorry for you. Evidently you don't know that most of that money goes to make a wish and for women's heart disease. And you actually get 10% back in February from all your purchases for the past holiday season. But even if you don't get much back , you are giving to charity well worth causes of some children who have nothing or to save someone's life from heart disease. It's a blessing to give to others and not to complain about a silly coupon!

Jan 10, 2016 #1091995

Apparently you don't know the terms of the program. Only $10 of the $25 you pay in goes to charity. The remains $15 goes to Macy's to administer the program. Next time, read the fine print.

4 1 Reply

Nov 30, 2015 #1071777

I agree that is 100% bull. The entire back side of those coupons are exclusions.

Nov 29, 2015 #1071214

I agree 100%

eileen

Oct 24, 2015 #1053230 Revere, Massachusetts, United States

this program is very misleading. Only $10 of the $25 "enrollment fee" goes to charity. I guess Macy's pockets the rest.

Sep 05, 2015 #1030015 New Castle, Delaware, United States

From a Former Long Time Employee: With any store, you should read the fine-print for coupons and read sale signs carefully. Having exclusions is normal and found in most, it not all, retailer stores. The last time a department store tried to get rid of coupons, it failed miserably (JcPenny) and they just went back to business as normal after losing a ton of revenue.
Personally, I always shop the clearance and look for sale signs. I never venture to the full price section without a giftcard. (Best offer is normally 50% with extra %50 or 75% for clearance. 50% for sale items). Always check if the sign for EDV, "special", or a "deal of the day". That means the price will not go lower.
TFS is not a scam, however employees should not be placing it on your bill without permission. Employees are pressured to sign-up people similar to signing up for Macy's Card but that is no excuse for such behavior. A manager can refund it. Just ask or call.
It's an OK program if you shop a bit at Macy's around Christmas time (More than $250). It does exclude furniture/mattress, electronics, sunglasses, giftcards, TAG, and a few others non-clothes items. However, all other purchases are eligible for the 10% including Polo. I always end up with at least a $40 gift card.
Sidenote: When the program first started it was like $10 with $2 going to Macy's. So I agree that the program has become a joke. I mean really what is the $15 admin fee really for, other than a way to cut
... Show more

7 2 Reply

Sep 03, 2015 #1028995 Berkeley, California, United States

You're probably not a good or even faithful customer if you don't know by now that savings passes don't work on EDV's, Special Buys, and leased departments. Really good and faithful customers who shop at Macy's a lot know they can save money on clearance items. Really good customers acquire Plenti points. Really good customers know how to shop for values.

7 1 Reply

Apr 25, 2015 #976720

If you read the pamphlet you get when you sign up for thanks for sharing you would have known that you do NOT earn the 10% on mattresses or furniture. So once again...a customer did not do THEIR job and read the information given to them. This was YOUR fault, not the stores.

9 3 Reply

Sep 02, 2015 #1028904

I didn't get a pamphlet

Birdymom

Feb 18, 2015 #947599 Marshfield, Missouri, United States

I purchased a $600 chair and other things with Thanks for Sharing on my card. I only got a card for $23.53. I thought it was supposed to be 10% of the purchase. Don't think I'll participate in this experience again.

2 9 Reply
Macyphiliac

Feb 07, 2015 #942295 Mableton, Georgia, United States

Thanks for Sharing is a great program for people who love and do shop. Last year, I accumulated enough to purchase my husband an ipad mini from the Apple vending machine at Macy's. I'm a loyal, long-time Elite rewards member who is here to stay; I shutter at the thought of a world without Macy's!!!!!

12 0 Reply
Stranger

Dec 30, 2014 #923151 Boston, Massachusetts, United States

Its the first time I joined the thanks for sharing. The Cashier was well informed about the details and answered all my questions about the program. Generally I follow Macys products online and try to visit the store as often as I can. at the time I joined TFS there was a nice deal at tommy Hilfiger; get $25 on $100 or more purchase. Because I always have a list with priorities at Macys I checked the items that I want from Tommy and made a purchase around $100 and paid $75 which actually will give me back the $25 enrollment for TFS. You can say that I still lost $25 but its better to pay the $25 without getting any benefit. I already accumulated $698 (that's written on my last receipt from Macys for TFS). Will see how it will work. I plan to use this money again on special days when there is a good deal with my priority list. I asked one of the managers at Macys and she told me that's like real money never expires and I can use it for the prices written on the tag (not only(!) original price, if there is 50% sale you get it 50% off, like you buy with cash).

5 0 Reply
bebe

Dec 02, 2014 #909776 North Brunswick, New Jersey, United States

I would like to cancel thanks for sharing as well. I was tricked into enrolling not knowing that I will be charged $ 25 !!!. The cashier asked me if I would like to enroll and I asked her what I have to do. She said nothing just let me sign it up for you - and than week later I received my statement and there it was - $ 25 charge. I got mad. Went back to macys to cancel and the cashier informed me that I have to come back after December 6 to cancel it !!!! Can't stand macys anymore.

2 4 Reply
Ali 52

Feb 20, 2015 #948558 Lexington, Kentucky, United States

You are charged $25, but remember it does go to charity. It's not like you're just throwing it away. ☺️
I always enroll, because I know I'm doing something good for children, and as an added bonus I get a gift card later on!

5 4 Reply

Sep 02, 2015 #1028773

Yes! can't stand Macy's any more! Macy is not responsible for any mistakes/errors they made! Don't you believe that Macy's customer service department saying they issued a gift card with the same gift card number to customers for thx for sharing. They are not responsible for customer's loss! I am sure other people suffering same shocking experience will stop shopping at Macys. Macy is losing faithful customers and it will be closed soon. Those bad customer service rep will soon lose job for their own bad attitude towards customers.

0 1 Reply

1-20 of 29 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Macys. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Macys.
Filing a new complaint about
×