2.7
Layout of Store

I thought that one of the advantages at shopping at a place like Macy's over Amazon.com is the face-to-face personalized customer service.Turns out I was wrong about that.

I bought a nice watch for my son at the flagship Macy's in NYC; 3 days later I decided to exchange it for a different watch (same brand but different style) so I went to a different Macy's nearby (not in NYC) that carried the watches. It was near to closing time and no one was at the watch counter. I approached another salesman across the isle who merely said he could not help me and turned his back on me. Okay, I waited about 10 minutes and then a saleswoman arrived.

Though the watch I wished to exchange was in the box, the sales woman refused to consider any exchange citing a Macy's policy that the tag could not be removed (said tag was in the box and had been cut by the sales woman in the NYC store without mentioning the no return/exchange policy). Additionally, this woman also noted that Macy's does not allow returns for resized items- in this case, a few band links had been removed at the NYC Macy's (again wothout mentioning to me about the no exchange/rteurn policy). Ok, I asked, why couldn't Macy's just replace the links? Well, came the answer, that would take 15 minutes of work.

So there you have it, Macy's wouldn't go all of 15 minutes out of their way to please a customer. Instead, they make you jump through jump through hoops to return or exchange items. Meanwhile, when I returned another watch purchased on Amazon, it was so easy. No comparison, Amazon wins over Macy's for customer service.

Never again will I go back to Macy's.And the kicker is that, I actually bought the watch at Macy's because it was a big sale, but looking on Amazon later, the same watch is about the same price even without a sale!!!

Review about: Macys Customer Care.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Unreasonable change order and cancellation time, Dealing with any of the employees.

Had an Experience with Macys?

Comments

It states on your receipt in plain English that resized items cannot ever be returned.You also took the tags off.

The company will not take it back because it was sized for you. Period. And you came in at closing time and expected them to stay open for you AND resize your watch??? This would affect all employees including the managers.

The employee in the other dept that wouldn't help you as you say? Well that person obviously didn't work in jewelry as you have to be background checked to work there. Get it?

Do you understand how you special snowflake???Smh.

to Carissa #1393615

Thanks for your comments, but to clarify, I bought the watch on a Friday afternoon well before closing time so no one had to stay late to resize the watch.In fact, the Macy's saleswoman suggested resizing the watch for me right away (otherwise I would not have even known that Macy's offers that service) and it was the saleswoman who removed the tag without even telling me that such action would prevent me from returning the watch (yes, it does state that return policy about resizing and tag removal on the receipt in very fine print but Macy's should be much more transparent about their policy especially if the salesperson is removing the tag).

As for the rude salesman at the Long Island Macy's store where I went to return the watch on the Monday evening (still an hour before closing, so again, no one had to stay late), he obviously did work in the jewelry dept.

since he was behind another jewelry counter, but if Macy's is not doing background check on all their employees, what are they doing in this day and age????More to the point, that salesman completely turned his back on me when he simply could have and should have at least made a phone call for assistance (basic customer service) instead of letting me stand there having to search around on my own for someone.

I can't decode or comment on your "special snowflake" as it is complete nonsense to me.